The Las Virgenes Unified School District is widely recognized for excellence. Mariposa School of Global Education was created to expand and enhance what the District offers.
The vision for the educational model of Mariposa is driven by both current and seminal research which purports the need for a variety of instructional strategies and approaches to meet the diverse needs of students and satisfactorily prepare them to participate effectively in the 21st century global market. We integrate a Waldorf-inspired curriculum with themes of world studies and environmental education. Children learn through hands-on projects, arts-integration, regular hikes in nature, and so much more!
Currently, our student population consists of about 400 kindergarten through eighth grade students. School tours are held monthly from November to February, please contact the office for more information. We also encourage you to join us for our festivals and other school-sponsored events throughout the year, see the calendar for details.
Mariposa Elementary School offers the following distinguishing components:
- A 3-year and 2-year looping model in which children remain with their classmates and teacher in grades 1-3, 4-5 and 6-8.
Incorporating Waldorf-inspired teaching methods including oral story telling, use of natural art materials, daily, whole-body movement and song, drawing and focus on the process of learning over the product
Integrated curriculum incorporating world studies, environmental education, science, visual and performing arts, music, poetry and storytelling into the core subjects of reading, writing, and math
- Balanced literacy through a block schedule to target individual performance levels.
- Council Circle and weekly social skills lessons with teaching, modeling, role playing, and rehearsal
- Relationship-based classrooms and looping students with the same teacher for 2 to 3 years
- Parent education and participation
- Outdoor/environmental education through monthly hikes, field trips, and classroom lessons.